If you want to be active off the slopes during your winter holiday in Obertauern, no problem. In Obertauern, an abundance of enjoyable winter activities await you. Try something different in the snow with cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, sledding by day or night, or snow kiting and snow biking for that ultimate adrenaline rush.
We have something for everyone.
At the Salzburg ski resort of Obertauern, you will find well-kept slopes for cross-country skiing. Classic cross-country skiers and skating style lovers will find a variety of diverse trails in Obertauern. Winter holidays in Obertauern offer both beginners and cross-country skiing professionals a real challenge. After an active day in the beautiful winter landscape you can relax in the hotel’s spa facilities and enjoy comfort and the best attention at theHotel Garni Frau Holle in Obertauern.
Cross-country suggestions in Obertauern and surroundings
- Schaidberg cross-country skiing trail – Length: 1.5 km; ideal for cross-country newcomers, but also ideal to warm up for advanced endurance sports fans
- Hundsfeld cross-country skiing trail – Length: 6 km; beautiful track across the protected area of the Hundsfeld Moor with quick access to the sports complex; entry: Above the Lürzer Alm or north of the sports centre
- World Cup Ski Trail – Length: 10 km; moderate, somewhat demanding trail; Entry: Either at the base station of the Gamsleiten chairlift or opposite the post office
- Taurach cross-country ski trail – Length: 13 km; mild to moderate trail; connects Untertauern and Radstadt
- Gnadenalm cross-country skiing trail – Length: 15 km; wonderful high-altitude trail for all levels of difficulty (classic and skating) including biathlon shooting range. Entry: about 4 minutes from the town of Obertauern.
- Twenger Au cross-country ski trail – Length: 23 km; connects Tweng with Mauterndorf and is the longest trail in the region; Entry: Franzenbauer in the centre of Tweng, near the timber yard in Tweng Landtschfeld, opposite Purnbauer in Vordertweng and at the Maly bus stop
With your family, explore the winter landscape in Obertauern in a different way. A guided snowshoe hike is the perfect way to enjoy the beautiful natural scenery by hiking on snow-covered trails through the sparkling white landscape.
An unforgettable winter experience for all ages.
A romantic feeling and the peace of winter are the perfect companions to a sleigh ride through the snowy winter landscape in Obertauern. The sleigh ride will take you from the Gnadenalm back to Hintergnadenalm and lasts about an hour. In the Gnadenalm Restaurant, you can finish off your trip by dining on delicious delicacies.
Our horse-drawn sleighs can accommodate two to 28 people.
Snowkiting & Snowbiking
Snowkiting – a combination of skiing and kiting
The popular sport of snowkiting will let you slide on your skis or snowboard over the powdery snow with a kite. For experienced skiers, this sport can often be learned in a short time. It’s an adrenaline rush of a special kind!
Snow biking – with a snow bike on the slopes of Obertauern.
A completely new experience that combines biking and skiing. You can move intuitively and after a short training session, you’ll be doing turns on the perfectly-groomed slopes in Obertauern. Even difficult descents will be easy to handle. You’ll have a great time riding your snow bike across the slopes.
If you and your family feel like a toboggan ride, then you have come to the right place. With a total of 6.5 kilometres, the Obertauern ski area offers delightful tobogganing.
You should definitely take a fun ride on one of our toboggan runs, whether you choose a sunny winter day or a romantic night under the stars.